Tuesday, November 9, 2010

NaKniSweMo 2010: Week 1 Update

In my opinion, there is nothing better than a cozy, handknit sweater. Introducing it to your wardrobe is like welcoming an old friend back into your life. This sweater will keep you warm, accompany you on a myriad of adventures (possibly with snow) and make you look good doing it.

I have been reminded of how much I love knit sweaters during this NaKniSweMo. The pattern I've chosen is a simple one, with only a few details to set it apart and make it special: a little bit of stranded colorwork, some steeking. The yarn is simple and hardy, but still soft; it gives me the feeling that, once made, this sweater will be around for a long, long time.

I don't think that NaKniSweMo is really about the rush. If you don't make it, you don't make it; what's going to happen? Will the sweater unravel upon itself and burst into flames? No, this month is about the celebration of the sweater. About how, like a good friend, it will be there for you during the coldest hours of winter, faithfully buffering you from all matter of nasty weather.

Week 1 Update:
Yardage: ~220 yds
Stitches knit: ~8000
Notes: It's a lot of stockinette stitch. Good, mindless knitting in front of the TV. I'm surprising myself at the progress I'm making.

No comments:

Post a Comment