Monday, September 20, 2010

a wool gathering

On Sunday I traveled to Yellowspring, Ohio for A Wool Gathering, which is my favorite wool festival of the year. It's at Young's Jersey Dairy (which, I might add, has excellent peach milkshakes) and has a few huge tents filled with vendors, sheep shearing demonstrations, spinning and knitting tutorials, and a hilarious kiddie train that looks like a death trap on wheels, constantly rattling by and always filled with kids.

I went with Jenni Claydon and Rachael Smith and had a grand old time perusing the gorgeous wares and petting the alpacas and sheep. We watched a shearing demonstration (I believe the man doing the shearing was wearing the exact same shirt that he was a year ago) and I drooled over the yarns at Fiber Optic and Knitting Notions. I also got to hold a baby angora bunny! This guy almost came home with me.



I also got a bunch of goodies: some pretty roving to make this sweater, and two skeins of hand-dyed laceweight (like I needed more laceweight...). Overall, the day was a success!







*All pictures are courtesy of Rachael Smith.

2 comments:

  1. That sweater is going to be ADORABLE! I can't wait to see the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice sweater pattern choice. those colors you bought with that pattern will look great! we still need to find me a cowl pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete